Legacy was incorporated in 2011 and received its non-profit status in 2012. Prior to that time, community education services were provided by the W.L. Slaughter Memorial Foundation, Inc. beginning in 1983.
Mr. Slaughter was a coach, teacher, and the first African-American Alderman of Forest. He and his wife, scholar, and local librarian, Mrs. Olivia Kelley Slaughter. Their daughter, Attorney Constance Slaughter-Harvey, who received the distinction as the first African American female to receive a law degree from the University of Mississippi, along with Mrs. Slaughter continued providing services to Forest, Mississippi after Mr. Slaughter passed. They provided the community with Scouting and Tutorial services.
Upon Mrs. Slaughter’s passing, Attorney Harvey and her daughter, Constance Olivia Burwell, a certified reading teacher, who grew up participating in the Scouting and Tutorial programs, continue to provide community education services that include parental, youth, and student educational enrichment services. The late Mr. and Mrs. W.L. Slaughter’s great-grandson, Constance's grandson, and Constance Olivia's son, James “Tre” Burwell, III. is growing up as a Change Agent scholar of Legacy. Together the Slaughter’s service continues to provide a legacy of life, literacy, and love for beloved rural Mississippi communities.
The power that runs the empowerment and community education is amazing. The work is sustained by Change Agents, namely the investors, the boards, the staff, the scholars, and the families. Without the leadership and support of these Legacy Change Agents and Scholars, the mission and vision of the organization would cease to exist. Legacy is a proud family and will continue to empower families through community education. We intentionally ensure a better life for all people.
We apply three specialized methods of our programming and they are:
1. Storytelling gifts Change Agents with heritages that connect family and society while reinforcing reading, vocabulary, effective communication, creative arts and writing skills;
2. Life Planning/Mapping gifts Change Agents with appreciation for the past, present and future and accountability to set and achieve personal goals and
3. Service-Learning gifts Change Agents with assessing community needs and completing a project that allows for critical thought and presentation skills.
What We Know
THE volunteers, Board, AND parents ARE UNITED IN our BELIEF that COMMUNITY EDUCATION IS CRUCIAL and that:
· Children are responsible for their actions and educational success (Homework, schoolwork, respectful behavior, helping others, not bullying, speaking truth, and dreaming).
· Parents are responsible for youth's food, shelter, safety, and for encouraging positive educational activities (Assistance with learning by reading, traveling, helping others, community service, and attending a spiritual place of worship).
· Legacy is a servant leader and is responsible for creating and facilitating new national community educational concepts and experiences (Homework assistance, tutoring, educational workshops, educational trips, summer camp, community service opportunities and service learning opportunities).
· Servant Leadership encourages Legacy’s Change Agents to place the needs of others before personal self-interest. We lead by setting a positive example and by encouraging positive actions of change in others.
Legacy implements a community education model that creates a "one-stop educational enrichment program" that creates sustainable youth and adult Change Agents.
Legacy Change Agents empower families, communities, and the world through community education.
Our vision is an empowered youth and community-led by Change Agents who are also intergenerational and diverse servant leaders who work to build a more sustainable community. We desire sustainable and empowered servant leaders who are innovative, oriented to community and service to others, diplomatic, educated, well-rounded, ethical, and confident.
Our mission is to work to promote positive developments, changes and reforms that promote community education and social justice for ALL people, especially families of historically underserved populations such as African-Americans, Bi-Racial, Hispanic/Latino Americans, Native Americans (Mississippi Band of Choctaw), Vietnamese, women, children, the elderly and other socio-economically deprived and marginalized groups.
Legacy's Specialized Issues
We gift the issues of:
Learn to be responsible for myself (Responsibility builds character and rewards);
Embrace education at all times (Education makes the world a better place to live);
Guard my thoughts and actions (I am what I think);
Always try positive and new things at least once (Good things come to me when I take calculated and wise risks);
Choose the company I keep carefully (I become what they are); &
Y.O.L.O. (You only live once so make your dreams come true today).
1. Cross-Age & Diverse Connections
We provide our Change Agents of all ages and cultural backgrounds with practical and easy solutions for sustaining and improving our community.
2. Hope & Action
We are leading experts in working with our community to provide positive changes and meaningful opportunities to families.
3. Community Education
We strongly believe that the community can collectively create innovative strategies that sustain and improve rural communities. We help our change agents learn and apply ideas that achieve and retain the greatest possible success.
Legacy does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. All material on this website is copyrighted 2020 by Legacy, Education and Community Empowerment Foundation, Inc. No material may be republished without Legacy's consent.
Legado no lo hace y no discriminarán en base de raza, color, religión (credo), género, expresión de género, edad, origen nacional (ascendencia), discapacidad, estado civil, orientación sexual o estado militar, en cualquiera de sus actividades u operaciones. Todo el material en este sitio web es propiedad de 2020 por herencia, educación y comunidad Empowerment Foundation, Inc. Ningún material se puede publicar sin consentimiento de Legacy.